Sunday, March 29, 2015

Reflecting on the presentation last week about sexuality as it connects to disability/chronic illnesses, there are a bunch of things that stood out to me. I loved the part of the presentation that focused on cardiovascular disease, because there were a bunch of little things that I had never known before. It was interesting that many people avoid sex if they have this disease for fear of having a heart attack. But, as the group discussed, there is actually no truth to this. It is kind of shocking to think about the things that people may be afraid to discuss with their doctors that have so deeply influenced their sex lives and lives in general.

I also loved that the group addressed disabilities in detail. It makes me sad that so many people think that people with disabilities are asexual and would not be able to have a fulfilling sex life. This group did two treatment videos, and I could definitely understand why. I am so glad they chose to show the class sessions with the two very different clients and situations. The clients were so accurately portrayed and it was really interesting to see some interventions that could be used if we ever treat clients with similar presenting problems.

The Wiki page for this group was very informative, with a lot of links and websites to check out. I especially liked the picture of various sex positions someone in a wheelchair could use. I try to picture myself being in that situation and how helpless I would feel at first; not knowing if I could ever have good sex again. It is comforting to know that clinicians do have access to this information if they need it, just to give clients with this problem and fear a peace of mind if they choose to seek help in therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment